Sovereign Lake Nordic Club is excited to offer the very popular Masters Program again for the 2017/18 season that is organized and lead largely by volunteers. The goal of the program is to introduce more Adults (19+ yr) to the joys of cross country skiing through a social, organized support network. All participants must be SLNC Season Pass Holders. The program cost is STILL $50!
Want to get more focussed training opportunities and professional coaching? Join us on Wednesday mornings from 9-11:00am with Eric de Nys (recently retired National World Cup Team -Head Coach) and another instructor for this great training opportunity.
Are you looking for a training plan with a focus on performance and racing? Check out the new Master HP Program that will be administered by Eric this season.
3 weekly sessions available:
- Sunday Morning (10:00am-12:00) Coached by Volunteer Leaders
- Wednesday Mornings (9:00-11:00am) Coached by Eric de Nys (and another TBD club coach)
- Wednesday Evenings (6:30-8:00pm) Coached by Volunteer Leaders
**You are required to be a SLNC Pass holder to take part in our XC Masters Program. Confirmation is required by showing your season pass.
If you have questions regarding this program please contact our Masters Program Coordinator for more information.
|Nov 23 - Mar 14|
Total # of Sessions
Sessions per Week
|Classic and Skate|
|December 1, 2017|
|A percentage of Masters revenue goes back to support Youth Program Race Development.|
Eric de Nys
- former National Ski Team Head Coach
- Coach at the last two Olympic Winter Games
- extensive Masters coaching experience in Canmore
- former National Champion athlete
- National Coaching Institute graduate
- World Champion Master Skier, many times over!
- Educational background includes kinesiology.
- Experienced cross country ski coach.
- Olympic coaching experience.
- Educational background includes exercise physiology.
- Super Camp coach.
Gerry Breneman (Masters Coordinator)
- 30 years of coaching high school cross country running and track and field
- 40 years of competitive cross country skiing and running
- CANSI level II certified instructor
- Has competed at 7 Masters World Cups.
- Level ll CANSI, TD, and Coach certifications.
- Have Taught and coached at Laurentian University, nordic clubs, and Masters Camps.
- Fitness and Lifestyle Management Diploma.
- Firth Award recipient.
There are three sessions each week: Sunday morning and your choice of morning or evening on Wednesday.
|10:20||Meet in front of the Tech Building for instructions|
|10:30||Training Activity of the Day*|
|12:00||Meet in lodge for post-work out nutrition with the group|
*Activity will be designed to raise your heart rate in a challenging event (ie team relay) or a long slow ski will always be an option for participants.
Time: 9:00-11:00 am
|9-9:20 am||Warm Up|
|9:20||Meet in Stadium @ Tech Building to organize groups|
|9:30-10:45||Training Activity of the Day|
|11:00||Meet in the lodge for post-work out nutrition with the group|
Time: 6:30-8:00 pm (An Alternative to the Wednesday morning)
|6:30 – 6:50pm||Warm Up|
|6:50||Meet in Stadium in front of Tech Building|
|7:00-7:45||Training Activity of the Day|
|8:00pm||Meet in lodge for post-work out nutrition with the group|
All Master members will receive messages on Mondays and Fridays via Team Snap advising of training plans of the upcoming sessions
What is SLNC Masters about?
It’s summed up in the three Fs
Fitness, you don’t have to be very fit to join Masters but participation will help you to raise the bar.
Form, you will learn to ski more efficiently.
Friendly, all happens in a friendly environment.
What it’s not
It’s not boot camp, as in rigorous and intense training sessions. There is that element for those who want it but the focus is on recreational skiing with some attention to technique. It’s not structured, skill development sessions. There is little or no repetitive skill drills.
Goals of the SLNC Masters Program
- To provide the structure and support whereby club members have the means to raise their level of fitness and to improve their skiing proficiency.
- To provide training sessions which will be effective in improving levels of fitness for all program participants.
- To provide support for those who want to compete
- Keep all participants well informed of all events and activities
- What’s More,
- The fee, $50. SLN Masters is the best program for the money in the country, bar none. Included in the fee is BC Masters membership.
- The program is club and membership based, organized and delivered by club members.
- Technical support for certain sessions will be led by Dudley Coulter, former Junior National Team Member and a member of SLNC Staff
New Initiatives for 2017-18
- To strongly encourage recreational, club, skiers to participate in SLN Masters.
- To offer a few speaker sessions over the course of the season.
- To provide small group, technique sessions by representatives of BC Masters.
- To organize 3 social events.
- Focus training for competitive skiers on key events.
- To provide “no additional fee” instruction on technique from a qualified staff member, on weekly a basis.
The Masters HP Program will consist of a winter training plan focussing on providing participants the tools to take part in Regional Loppet racing, World Masters Loppets and World Masters Championships. Eric de Nys, our club Programs Director will lead this group and will provide monthly training plans from November to March this season to enable you to reach your training targets. This group will be using Training Peaks as a data entry and extrapolation tool to track training targets throughout the winter.
Price: $400 (December through March)
Contact: Programs Director (Eric de Nys)
We will accept up to 15 athletes for the 2017/18 season.