Sovereign Lake Nordic Club is excited to offer the ever popular Masters Program once again for the 2018/19 season. This program is organized and lead in large part by our team of volunteer coaches. The goal of the program is to introduce Adults (19+) to the joys of cross-country skiing through a social, organized support network. All participants must be SLNC Season Pass Holders. The program STILL costs just $50!
This program runs three times per week as indicated on the included calendar and is open to all abilities.
Do you want more focused technical training and some professional coaching? Join us on select Thursday mornings from 9-11:00am with Eric de Nys (experienced National Cross Country Team coach) for this great training opportunity. Want even more? See the Masters High Performance tab on this page.
3 weekly sessions available:
- Sunday Morning (10:00am-12:00) Led by Volunteer Leaders
- Thursday Mornings (9:00-11:00am) Led by Volunteer Leaders, combined with coaching and technical expertise provided by Eric de Nys on select weeks.
- Thursday Evenings (6:30-8:00pm) Led by a top instructor.
**You are required to be an SLNC Pass holder to take part in our XC Masters Program. Confirmation is required by showing your season pass.
If you have questions regarding this program please contact our Master’s Program Coordinator for more information. If registration is giving you challenges, click the FAQ tab (above) and scroll to the bottom.
Eric de Nys (Program Coordinator, Head Coach SLNC)
- 3x Olympic Winter Games as coach
- 5x World Championships Coach
- NCCP Level IV certified
Gerry Breneman (Masters Coordinator)
- 30 years of coaching high school cross country running and track and field
- 40 years of competitive cross country skiing and running
- CANSI level II certified instructor
- World Masters Champion
- Educational background includes kinesiology.
- Experienced cross country ski coach.
Pat Van Mullen
- XC Skiing 17 years, Coaching XC 10+ years
- Skied in 5 Masters World Cups
- Completed Norwegian Birkie, Engadin Marathon, Vasaloppet
- XC Coaching Certifications ; PSIA, USSA, CANSI
- Competed at 5 Master’s World Cups
- Completed Norwegian Birkebienber (2015); Engadin Loppet (2017); Tjevasaloppet (2018)
- Level I USSA Coach, Level I CANSI Coach
- Coaching and teaching XC skiing kids to Masters athletes for 10+ years
- Founding member of Overlander Ski club
- Started coaching in 1983, still learning.
- CANSI certified
- Olympic coaching experience.
- Educational background includes exercise physiology.
- Super Camp coach.
- Has competed at 7 Masters World Cups.
- Level ll CANSI, TD, and Coach certifications.
- Have Taught and coached at Laurentian University, nordic clubs, and Masters Camps.
- Fitness and Lifestyle Management Diploma.
- Firth Award recipient.
There are three sessions each week: Sunday 10:00-12:00, Wednesday 18:30-20:00 or Thursday 9:00-11:00
|10:20||Meet in front of the Tech Building for instructions|
|10:30||Training Activity of the Day*|
|12:00||Meet in lodge for post-work out nutrition with the group|
*Activity will be designed to raise your heart rate in a challenging event (ie team relay) or a long slow ski will always be an option for participants.
Time: 6:30-8:00 pm (An Alternative to the Thursday morning)
|6:30 – 6:50pm||Warm Up|
|6:50||Meet in Stadium in front of Tech Building|
|7:00-7:45||Training Activity of the Day|
|8:00pm||Meet in lodge for post-work out nutrition with the group|
Time: 9:00-11:00 am
|9-9:20 am||Warm Up|
|9:20||Meet in Stadium @ Tech Building to organize groups|
|9:30-10:45||Training Activity of the Day|
|11:00||Meet in the lodge for post-work out nutrition with the group|
More information about getting fitter, faster, and happier.
What is SLNC Masters about?
It’s summed up in the three Fs
Fitness, you don’t have to be very fit to join Masters but participation will help you to raise the bar.
Form, you will learn to ski more efficiently.
Friendly, all happens in a friendly environment.
And it’s also fun because serious is for kids!
What it’s not
It is not a boot camp, as in rigorous and intense training sessions. There is that element for those who want it but the focus is on recreational skiing with some attention to technique. It’s not structured, skill development sessions. There is little or no repetitive skill drills.
Goals of the SLNC Masters Program
- To provide the structure and support whereby club members have the means to raise their level of fitness and to improve their skiing proficiency.
- To provide training sessions which will be effective in improving levels of fitness for all program participants.
- To provide support for those who want to compete
- Keep all participants well informed of all events and activities
- What’s more, the fee, $50. SLN Masters is the best program for the money in the country, bar none.
- The program is club and membership-based, organized and delivered by club members.
- Technical support for certain sessions will be led by Eric de Nys.
New Initiatives for 2018-19
- To strongly encourage recreational club skiers to participate in SLN Masters.
- To offer a few speaker sessions over the course of the season.
- To provide small group technique sessions by representatives of BC Masters.
- To organize 3 social events.
- Focus training for competitive skiers on key events.
- To provide “no additional fee” instruction on technique from a qualified staff member, on weekly a basis.
We encourage members to join BC Masters for $23 per year.
Already registered for the club and want to add a program?
Come into the lodge and we will upgrade you right then and there. We will add this to your Season Pass Cart and have you make the payment at the till. A new receipt will be issued to you showing the program upgrade. This will also automatically add you to the communications database to receive emails and e-blasts specific to your program.
Upgrading a SilverStar pass?
Note that you must be a Sovereign member to join a program. Membership is included in your upgrade this winter.
Bring a Buddy
Do you have friends visiting from out of town and want to bring them to a session? We would love to have them join us! Come to the counter with a registered Masters participant, flash your Masters Season Pass, and join the session for $10. Please remember that you are also required to purchase a Ski Day Ticket.