Update September 22/21:
Registration for this program is now closed.
Masters XC has reached maximum number of participants for the 2021/2022 season with over 250 registrants.
Sign up to be put on the wait list – We will contact you if additional spaces become available.
Sovereign Lake Nordic Club is excited to offer the ever popular Masters Program once again for the 2021/22 season.
This program is organized and lead in large part by our team of volunteer coaches.
The goal of the program is to introduce Adults (30+) to the joys of cross-country skiing through a social, organized support network.
The program is only $100! About the same price as a single private lesson.
This program runs 3x/week times per week as indicated on the included calendar and is open to all abilities.
Participants can expect warming up, receiving some technical pointers and breaking in to smaller groups to head out onto the trails for a ski while working on the technical pointers of the day. Meet back at the lodge for coffee and treats (depending on covid restrictions).
If you are looking for a program that’s more performance focused check out our Masters High Performance program
Masters XC Program requirements
- All participants MUST have previous skiing experience and be able to glide on their skis. Take some lessons with our knowledgeable instructors and then get involved with Masters XC if you’re new to skiing and want to be apart of the Masters XC group.
- MUST be SLNC Season Pass Holders.
3 weekly sessions available starting Thursday December 2, 2021
- Sunday Morning (10:00am-12:00pm)
- Thursday Mornings (10:00am-12:00pm)
- Thursday Evenings (6:30-8:00pm) Led by a top instructor.
Pat Van Mullem
Personal goals for masters program
To maintain the momentum of SVLNC Masters going through this difficult pandemic, provide our masters members a place to safely enjoy the companionship and social interaction of friends while enjoying our sport for fitness and exercise while maybe even improve their xc skills a little.
Sovereign Masters XC promotes the joy of skiing, building friendships, and adding to one’s skiing skills in a fun social group setting. Masters XC is a successful blend of improving technique and building fitness in a relaxed atmosphere of fun, fitness, and camaraderie.
Skills and expertise
- XC Ski Certified Instructor CANSI, PSIA, USSA
- Instructor and coach in sports for 47 years
- Instructor Trainer and Instructor Course Director Scuba Diving
- Chocolate connoisseur
Interests and hobbies (other than skiing)
SCUBA Diving, Flying little airplanes , Backpacking, Woodworking, Fitness,
Enschede in the Netherlands
Why Sovereign is my go to ski destination
Cyndy and I chose Sovereign and SilverStar as our happy place after coming here for ski camp 20 years ago & fell in love with the area. SLNC has great snow, great trails, good skiers, but mostly, what makes this a special place for me, is a very active and vibrant xc community. Maybe a lot of local skiers are not aware of this but after having traveled to a number of world class ski destinations, Sovereign Lake Nordic Club is world class and when combined with SilverStar is hard to beat anywhere. This is where we chose to live during the winter and love every minute of being here.
Skate Development with possible classic technique time, newer skiers, for anyone focused on fundamentals
Mike van Oorschot
Pat Van Mullem
Level I USSA Coach, Level I CANSI Coach
- Favorite Trail: Passmore to Carl Wylie loop
- Years Coaching: 7
- Why Coach?: I love watching newer skiers fall in love with the sport, to see their breakthroughs and smiles.
- Favourite Food? Sushi
- Words of Wisdom: Life’s too short. Be joyful!
CANSI Level 1
- Favorite trail: I like them all
- Years Coaching: 1 year
- Why Coach : I love helping others improve and gain confidence in their ability.
- Favorite food: NS lobster
- Words of Wisdom: “Don’t wait. The time will never be just right” – Napoleon Hill
CANSI Level II, NCCP- ICC + CCW
- Favorite Trail: The Zumas
- Years Coaching: 4 years
- Why Coach?: I love seeing people being active outdoors, regardless of age or ability. This is my way to encourage the community to XC ski and realize that it’s not as hard as they think.
- Favourite Food? Salmon
- Words of Wisdom: Progression, not perfection.
CANSI Level III, CSIA Level II
- Years Coaching: 15+ in cross country and downhill skiing
- Why Coach?: It is fun! A great way to share a love of skiing and the outdoors.
- Words of Wisdom: We only have today. Be out there.
Skate, faster paced, fewer stops
Kathrine (Kate) Ellis
USSA level II
- Favorite Trail: From the Summit, down Upper Paradise to Comin’ Round the Mountain, to Lars Taylor Way , ending up at Black Prince Cabin. Yahoooo!
- Years Coaching: 22 years
- Why Coach?: Skiing is pure joy. I hope to pass on my knowledge so others can experience that.
- Favourite Food? Anything except Liver.
- Words of Wisdom: Don’t wait.
Marcus Boyle (occasionally assist)
Social Ski leader
Social touring , possible mix Classic/Skate technique – Sunday only
- Favorite Trail: I like them all
- Years Coaching : Skiing for 67+ years
- Why Coach: I like to support successful programs like Masters
- Favorite Food: Berry Crumble
- Words of Wisdom : Tips Downhill!
Skate, touring with possibly some tips along the way
Level ll CANSI
- Favorite Trail: Lower World Cup
- Years Coaching: 36
- Why Coach?: Reino Keski-Salmi taught me a lot about skiing faster and even more about the value of giving back to the community
- Favourite Food? Pasta!!
- Words of Wisdom: “The only purpose of exercise is to induce recovery”-Per Gaarder
Classic technique, intermediate level
Name of Group: Very Classy
Performance level: intermediate
Objective: designed to promote skiing more efficiently and stronger
Thursday Nights Leader
Thursday Evening session Primarily Skate some possible Classic
CANSI level I, NCCP + ICC
- Favorite Trail: Aberdeen/Lars Taylor Way
- Years Coaching: About 15 years
- Why Coach?: To connect with x skiers. To learn how to get the best from them and seeing them progress, having fun in a safe and social environment.
- Favourite Food? Raclette and chocolate
- Words of Wisdom: There is no such thing as too much snow
Classy Classic Leaders
Easy Classic Skiing
Level ll CANSI, TD
- Favorite Trail: Woodland Bell, Carl Wylie
- Years Coaching: 35
- Why Coach?: I love XC skiing and want all Canadians of all ages at all stages to try it and embrace our winter.
- Favourite Food? One dish meals
- Words of Wisdom: Nothing of worth is accomplished without enthusiasm (Emerson)
- Favorite Trail: Silver Queen
- Years Coaching: 30+
- Why Coach?: Creating positive experiences for people, makes me smile
- Favourite Food? Is chocolate a food?
- Words of Wisdom: If you believe, then you achieve.
There are three sessions each week:
Sunday 10:00 am -12:00 pm, Thursday 10:00 am -12:00 pm, or Thursday 6:30 pm -8:00 pm.
|10:20||Meet your leader at the designated location for your group
*limited leaders are available Sunday some groups may be self-directed
|10:30||Ski with designated group|
|12:00||Coffee, treats, socializing (covid restrictions depending)|
Time: 10:00am-12:00 pm
|10:00-10:20 am||Warm Up|
|10:20||Meet your leader at the designated location for your group|
|10:20-11:45||Ski with your designated group|
|12:00||Coffee, treats, socializing (covid restrictions depending)|
Time: 6:30-8:00 pm (Alternative to the Thursday morning)
|6:30 – 6:50pm||Warm Up|
|6:50||Meet in Stadium in front of Tech Building|
|7:00-7:45||Training Activity of the Day|
|8:00 pm||Meet in outside of lodge for post-work out nutrition with the group|
What is SLNC Masters about?
Group based social skiing with varying degrees of structured skill development.
It’s summed up in the three Fs
Fitness, you don’t have to be very fit to join Masters but participation will help you to raise the bar.
Form, you will learn to ski more efficiently.
Friendly, all happens in a friendly environment.
What it’s not
It is not a boot camp, as in rigorous and intense training sessions.
See our Masters HP if you are looking for a higher level training
Goals of the SLNC Masters Program
- To provide structure and support whereby club members have the means to raise their level of fitness and to improve their skiing proficiency.
- To provide support for those who want to compete
- Keep all participants informed of events and activities
- What’s more, the fee, $100. SLN Masters is the best program for the money in the country, bar none.
- The program is club and membership-based, organized and delivered by club members.
- Technical support for certain sessions will be led by the head coach
New Initiatives for 2021-22
- To encourage recreational club skiers to participate in SLN Masters.
- To offer a few speaker sessions over the course of the season (covid restrictions depending).
- To provide small group technique sessions.
- To organize social events eg. potlucks (covid restrictions depending)
- Goal setting and training for competitive skiers on key events.