WELCOME TO OUR L2C RACING PROGRAM FOR THE 23/24 SEASON, TARGETING 15-17-YEAR-OLDS!
Registration is closed, please reach out to [email protected] to see if there is still room.
All of our youth programs are designed around Sport Canada’s Term Athlete Development principles and follow Cross Country Canada’s program guidelines. The L2C (formerly Junior Development and Academy) program is for athletes 15 to 17 years old who are interested in developing their full range of skiing skills, off-season training and have the desire to compete at provincial and national levels, in preparation for joining one of our T2C (Train2Compete) Post Secondary Programs. A commitment to scheduled team training sessions year-round and additional, independent training at home and on the snow may be expected.
This program is suitable for athletes who are graduating from the T2T (formerly JD) program and are entering the “Training to Compete” stage of growth and maturation. L2C XC athletes may choose to remain in this blend of weekend and evening training throughout their Junior years or join the L2C Academy Program which trains primarily during the day in collaboration with the sd22 Snowsports Academy Program. For athletes looking to take part in the Academy Program, we will be offering shuttle services in the Club Team Van for a nominal fee per participant on each trip.
Levels of training for individual athletes will vary according to their individual goals and commitments. Goal setting and review meetings with a program coach will be held seasonally to assess progress and adjust training as necessary. Athletes will be provided with an individualized year-round training plan and weekly practice plans with general guidance for individual training.
|L2C Year Round
|L2C Fall/Winter ONLY
|Dates||May 1st, 2023 – Mid-April, 2024||September 1st, 2023 – Mid-April, 2024|
|Total # of sessions||~135||~85|
Tuesday AM ~8:30 – 11am *Often a shooting combo session*
Wednesday AM ~8:30 – 11am
Thursday AM ~8:30 – 11am
Saturday AM ~8:30 – 11am
School Schedule (Spring, Fall / Winter)
*See Fall / Winter Only schedule as it is the same*
|School Schedule (Spring, Fall / Winter)
|The cold weather cut-off for L2C is -20 Celcius
|Registration Deadline||July 10||Sept 15|
- Year-round training access
- Training 3-4 days/wk (including team (~3x) & independent sessions)
- Access to summer, fall, and winter club/regional/provincial training camps
- Strength program including instruction in proper strength and weight lifting techniques
- Seasonal goals review and planning sessions (group and individual) with the coach
- General Yearly Training Plan (YTP) including weekly general guidance for individual sessions.
- Training log monitoring
- Video analysis of the technique
This program has a training and racing focus. Athletes will be well supported as they prepare for the ski season and compete in local, Provincial, and National level competitions that may include:
- OK Cups / Club Championships
- BC Cups, BC Championships
- Western Canadian Championships
- + other local events and loopets
- Contact XC Head Coach Darren for details of local/regional camps at [email protected]
- BC Talent Squad, BC Development Squad, BC Ski Team Camps available to respective athletes
2 SLNC summer/fall field tests for energy system fitness & strength will be offered
- Nutrition and Regeneration/recovery protocols
- Psychological techniques training (relaxation, activation, visualization, strategies, coping…)
- Technical video analysis off-season & on-snow (roller skiing, striding, skiing…)
- Online Team calendar and training session postings
- Pre-season program info/orientation meeting – mandatory for all athletes and parents.
Expectations of Athletes:
This is a training and racing program. Athletes should have a desire to train year-round and compete at provincial levels. A commitment to scheduled team training sessions in the summer and fall and to completing independent training is expected. Daily training logs (including resting heart rates, sleep hours, energy levels, etc) are introduced and used to monitor training response and give appropriate training advice. Athletes are expected to be proactive in informing coaches of upcoming events & activities that may conflict with scheduled training.
Athletes at the L2C level are often involved in other organized sports in the summer, fall, and occasionally winter. We encourage multi-sport involvement for enjoyment and to develop a full range of athletic abilities. Our XC Coach will meet with athletes and parents pre-season to preview schedules, clarify goals & mutual expectations to outline a plan that balances the individual needs of the athlete with the needs of running a cohesive club program. The XC Coach will be flexible in helping to determine the right balance and reserves the right to set minimum training and attendance requirements.
* An SLNC 23/24 season pass is required for participants in this program.
No formal programming: TBD
XC Coach – Darren Derochie
|July 9, 2023|